Famous for its rich heritage, but also for the many prizes it has been collecting in recent years owing to its revolutionary pedestrian model, the quaint capital of the Rias Baixas region in Galicia is a must.
Pontevedra went through a radical urban transformation for the best making it simply superb for a good stroll.
Thus, when joining a free(*) walking tour with Galicia Unveiled, we will share with you our own perspective on the boa vila (the good town) – as seen by a local – in fluent English.
Our tours look like this:
- If feasible, you will be picked up at your hotel. Alternatively, we’ll be waiting for you at Fonte dos Nenos (Rua Peregrina, 38) and proceed towards the famous Peregrina church. We’ll cross the threshold of the old medieval walls.
- We’ll then venture into the second largest old town of Galicia, second only to Compostela, and that’s saying a lot! We’ll travel centuries back in time through the narrow cobblestone streets and a myriad of squares.
- We’ll get to the ancient stone bridge which gives name to the city and the banks of the majestic Lérez river, whose valley plays a central role in European prehistory… Yes, you will want to hear that part 😉
- We’ll visit what’s left of the medieval walls and towers and some other remarkable monuments, returning to the city centre via the old Town Hall and “modern” 19th century mansions.
Yet, we love to “go with the flow”, so we’ll be delighted to improvise if there’s something specific you’d like to see, or if we get caught up in an interesting conversation about something 😀
(*) About the free nature of the tours: As explained in our T&Cs, free means that no fixed amount is ever charged before or after a regular walking tour in the city of Pontevedra. We operate on a courtesy basis where tips and donations are most welcomed but not required. You can pay as much or as little as you want according to how much or how little you liked the tour 🙂 You can do it on the spot or you can do it later via Paypal.
We work following the passion and satisfaction of making our city and country known to the world through you, esteemed traveller, but we also need some sort of income in order to maintain this project alive.
Other (non-free) locations and further travel arrangements are available on demand. Please contact us directly for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Galicia Unveiled tours are intended for persons 18 years and over. Minors must be accompanied by responsible adults at all times.
– It is an easy walk, but please bear in mind that tours might be relatively lengthy with no pauses, regardless of the weather conditions (within reason). Make sure you are ok with that and duly prepared in terms of fitness, dress, etc.
– The tour is suitable for people on wheelchairs! No wonder Pontevedra won a few for being “the most accessible city in Europe”.
More information about Pontevedra in this section.
Have you taken this tour? You might want to consider leaving a tip 😀